Are you thinking about moving overseas? Moving always involves planning and organization, but moving to another country adds a different dimension.
Most people move overseas to study abroad or for a job. You may be considering a move just for the adventure. Whatever your reason, you will need to ask yourself some questions to help determine if this is the right move for you.
- How will you earn a living? If you are relocating for a job, then you don’t need to worry. However, if you plan to move without a job already secured, you’ll want to assess your finances and determine how and when you need to have additional cash flow coming in. You will also need to research work permits you may need.
- How long do you want to be there? This is a question to ask yourself early in the process. This will help you determine what type of housing to secure. If you are expecting a short-term stay, you may consider a furnished apartment and leave your personal items here in storage. If you plan to stay longer, you may want to move your things with you.
- Do you need to learn the language? English is understood in many places, but if you don’t speak the local language, you will want to take some lessons prior to the move. There are so many options now. You can find tutors online or language apps. Or, you can take classes when you arrive to meet new people while learning the language. The key is to have a plan in place to learn quickly.
- Do you understand the culture? You will encounter cultural differences no matter where you relocate. In the planning process, be sure to research what those differences are to give you time to adapt your ways.
- Where will you live? This is absolutely crucial! You may use something like Airbnb during your first few days, but really you should have this issue resolved before the move overseas. You can use an agency that specializes in overseas relocations, or perhaps you can reach out to friends or family who may have connections in your prospective new country. You will have much greater peace of mind once you have your living arrangements decided.
- Why do you want to relocate overseas? Living abroad can be a thrilling adventure, but what are you expecting to get out of the experience? Do you want to be immersed in different cultures? Do you want to make site seeing easier? Do you want to broaden your network of friends? If you know what you want to accomplish, then reaching those goals is much more attainable.
- What about the cost of moving abroad? Moving overseas is expensive and includes hiring international movers, getting insurance, securing a new residence, and more. Be sure to meticulously plan your budget and have savings in the bank to cover any gaps.
Relocating to live in a different country is a great way to experience a different culture and way of life. Still, your level of planning and organization will need to be bumped up to consider everything from what type of residence do you want to how will you earn a living. We hope that these questions can help you mentally prepare for your exciting move abroad.
For more information on relocating abroad, contact your dedicated Global Van Lines Moving Concierge. There is no cost or obligation to you, and you will instantly be connected with our vast network of vetted moving professionals who will help ensure the smoothest move possible.